Plants and Trees are most important for a healthy environment. Trees contribute Environmental and Ecological Value by providing climate amelioration, improving air quality, oxygen, conserving water, supporting wildlife and much more. Everyone loves growing plants and trees in their gardens as they showcase the real beauty of the place. Trees are often grown in backyards, the neighborhoods, public places, and along highways. To continue the coexistence of the humans and trees peacefully, it is necessary to make sure that trees grown are strong, healthy and confined in designated areas. Pruning trees are an essential procedure for making the long term care for trees on the property. Pruning involves of removing specific parts of the plant or tree such as buds, branches, and roots.
Reasons To Prune A Tree:
Plants and Trees are pruned for these 3 purposes such as safety, health, and aesthetics.
Broken or the dead branches could fall from the tree anytime and could cause the serious hazard. Branches could be trimmed away when they become an obstruct your vision while driving vehicle. Trees could grow close to the residential utility lines so that they could create the hazardous problem.
When a tree is infected by the dead or diseased branches, then pruning could solve the problem of disease spreading to other trees. Normally, a thinning crown of the tree could easily improve the airflow and much more beneficial.
Pruning the tree could be easily helpful for maintaining the shape and appearance of the tree. Trees are admired for their natural beauty and pruning the branches into a shape could increase the aesthetic look. In fact, it would be easier to make the pruning with better creativity. However, more amount of pruning or trimming could also affect the tree with creating the unnatural size and shape.
Tree Pruning Tips:
- Prune or trim a tree during the dormant season are highly recommended.
- Look for the collar branch that grows from its stem tissue from the bottom base before making a cut. Branch ridge is most important as it is seen on the upper surface of the branch.
- Cutting outside branch bark ridge is most recommended and convenient to angle your cut from the stem.
- Branch collar must not be injured
- When the stem of the tree is too long then use the following techniques and keep these techniques and tricks to prune the tree branches. Make notch on side of stem facing away from tree branch
- Make notch on side of stem facing away from tree branch
- Make a second cut in crotch of branch and just above branch ridge
- Remove stub by cutting stem parallel to branch bark ridge
- Trim the tree branches that are weak, narrow-angle and V-shaped. In fact, it is convenient to retain the strong branches such as U-shaped angle.
- Cut the Lateral branches that are not one-half and three-quarters diameter with the stem.
- You need to be careful about the size of branches that you are about to remove. When the size is about less than 5 centimeters in diameter then you can efficiently remove it. When the size of the branch is about 5 to 10 cm diameter, then normal procedure is not recommended
- Keep the lateral branches spaced evenly
- Prune away the branches
- You should not cut more than one-fourth of living crown
- Raise crown by pruning the tree carefully to provide the clearance for the pedestrians or other reasons
- Maintain the branches at least two-third the height of the tree efficiently