Updated January 22, 2020
Lawn maintenance doesn’t have to be a tiresome job with the right type of lawn mower. Powered by strong engines and easy navigation buttons, the best lawn mowers are equipped with spacious decks and are also compact. Because they have customizable and different height blades, modern-age lawn mowers are able to mow areas finely.
In 1830, Edwin Budding invented the first lawn mower in England. Primarily, Budding designed this mower with the intention of cutting the grass on gardens and sports grounds as an alternative to the scythe. Today, land mowers are still in demand amongst homeowners and landscapers. If you are one of them, bring home the best riding lawn mower for hills and enjoy mowing to your heart’s content.
Comparison Chart of Riding Lawn Mowers:
- Troy-Bilt 382cc 30-Inch
- Powered by a 382cc Auto Choke OHV engine
- Designed with an 18-Inch turning radius with 13x5-inch front wheels
- Manual power take-off for fast and easy blade engagement
- Husqvarna MZ61 61" FAB Deck Z-Turn Mower
- 54-Inch reinforced stamped cutting deck
- Dual hydro-gear EZT transmission
- Electric clutch for easy blade engagement
- Troy-Bilt TB42 42-inch 420cc
- Powered by a 420cc single Troy-Bilt foot-pedal automatic CVT
- 42-inch mowing deck and 13-gauge steel Step
- Backed by a 2-year limited warranty
- Yard Machines 420cc
- Powered by a strong 420cc Engine
- Features a 42-inch blade that can cut a very wide area
- Backed by a 2-year limited warranty
- Poulan Pro P46ZX Briggs
- 46-Inch stamped reinforced deck 10 year warranty
- Hydro gear EZT transmission
- Electric clutch and 3.5 Gallon fuel tank
6 Top Rated Riding Lawn Mower for Hills Reviews:
Mowing will seem to be the smoothest job on earth with the Troy-Bilt Riding Lawn Mower. What makes it score highly is its cutting deck of thirty inches, blending the advantages of a wide cut walk behind a mower and a standard riding lawn mower. Standard landowners will love this, considering it can be stored effortlessly in a garage.
Also responsible for its flawless performance is its super-efficient 382cc OHV engine. Furthermore, the mower comes with a five-height customizable blade that does the job cleanly. Durable and trendy, this riding lawn mower is a great pick at a suitable budget.
Features and Specifications:
- 6-speed shift-on-the-go makes it easier to change both the speed and direction quite smoothly.
- 30-inch riding lawn makes it easier to maneuver and store in a shed.
- 10.5-HP, 344cc Briggs engine results in outstanding performance and unmatched durability.
- Easy to mow areas with 1.3-gallon fuel capacity, eliminating the need for refueling from time to time.
- Having an 18-inch turning radius and 30-inch cutting deck, makes navigation easier.
- Mid-back seat can be adjusted to accommodate drivers of different heights.
- Front wheel is 13 inches while the rear wheel is 16 inches.
- High on power and compact in size, making it easy to store
- Perfect for yards that are even or medium-sized
- Has the ability to make sharp turns with perfection
- Comes with a 5-height adjustable blade for better performance
- Cutting blades need to be disengaged for the reverse process
- Takes a long time to assemble
- The clutch/brake combo is not good
Blending comfort, strength and versatility, the Cub Cadet XT1 Enduro Series comes with the promise of a brilliant performance with its 18 HP Kohler OHV engine. Users love operating this lawn mower for its hydrostatic transmission that results in a smooth operation, eliminating the need for shifting.
With its 43-inch deck and 16-inch turning radius, it holds the ability to wipe away all obstacles while on the move. Furthermore, it’s worth the money to have 12 cutting height positions that can be easily chosen. So, if you have been searching for a feature-rich, LED-enabled riding lawn mower, the Cub Cadet XT1 is the one for you.
Features and Specifications:
- 12 cutting height positions along with a flexible lever, makes it deliver the best cut.
- Enabled LED lights allow more visibility in all types of weather conditions.
- 16-inch turning radius results in smooth maneuvering and cutting.
- The extremely comfortable grip and soft touch makes it great for mowing on the move.
- Its assembled depth, height, and width are 67 inches, 43 inches, and 52 inches respectively.
- The deck material comprises a 13-gauge steel, making it quite sturdy and long-lasting.
- With 18 Horsepower, this lawn mower gives off a sensational performance.
- Very easy to operate and quite simple to drive
- Equipped with high-power water jet to wipe off the garden debris
- Comes with 12 cutting levels that let you customize your lawn
- Battery indicator lets you know how long can you drive it
- Lack of accessories like sun cap, snow blade, snow thrower etc
- Price is unreasonable compared to other mowers
Lawn mowers with cutting-edge designs and innovative features are usually the first preference for landowners. The Husqvarna z254 is great in this respect. For lawn maintenance, this is an incredible best zero turn mower for hills that comes with chrome plated valves, a big cooling fan, improved air filtration, and finely finished bearing surfaces.
It leaves no question in terms of its durability, for its cutting deck is made of heavy-duty steel. Besides, it hardly needs any maintenance, so it would certainly be desirable for landowners. Also, its ergonomic control panel makes it completely user-friendly and a great choice for those who regularly mow lawns.
Features and Specifications:
- Equipped with a 54-inch cutting deck, this lawn mower makes it easier to mow the lawn with minimum effort.
- Comes with an electric clutch, an automatic park brake, and LED headlights that enable the driver to drive with no hassle.
- Stratton 24 HP V-Twin Endurance engine gives it enough power to work with absolute efficiency.
- Powered by 26 Engine Horsepower and dual hydrostatic transmission.
- Ideal to move on 3 to 5 acres of grass, as well as on flat terrains.
- Induction Mowing Technology cuts the grass finely and improves the grass lift.
- Takes no effort and time in assembling
- Runs on a very powerful engine that strengthens its performance in the process
- Comes with a good turn radius and cuts really well
- Quite easy to use and very convenient to operate
- Emits noise when the engine is on
- It will not work on hills with high slopes
- Absence of fuel gauge
When you invest in a lawn mower, you must ensure that it’s completely dependable. The Troy-Bilt TB42 comes with a 42-inch mowing deck and 7-speed settings that will take lawn mowing to a whole new level. With the ability to deliver a mind-blowing performance, it comes powered by a 420cc Single Troy-Bilt engine. This eases the job of mowing, adding perfection to it.
Drivers will surely go for it because it has a 13-gauge Step-Thru frame that creates a spacious area between the control panel and the seat for the legs to be placed. Moreover, its 1.36-gallon fuel tank makes this lawn mower worthy.
Features and Specifications:
- Runs on a 420cc Single Troy-Bilt engine that is powerful enough to let it operate for long hours.
- 7-speed settings and 42-inch mowing deck makes it effortlessly do the job.
- The 13-gauge Step-Thru frame makes enough space between the seat and the control panel, so drivers can place their legs easily in it.
- Front wheels are 15 x 6 inches, whilst its rear wheels are 20 x 8 inches.
- Equipped with a 1.36-gallon fuel tank, it eliminates the need for refueling.
- It operates at a maximum speed of 5.2 miles per hour, along with manual transmission, to keep mowing in good control.
- Has 7 different types of speeds for a cleaner performance
- Powered by a 420cc Single Troy-Bilt engine for strength
- 13-gauge Step-Thru frame makes it easier for the operator to drive
- The fuel tank can hold up to 1.36 gallons
- Looks very bulky and is not ideal for all types of yards
- Its 42-inch deck might fall short when it comes to working on spacious backyards
If lawn mowing has been a hard task for you, the Yard Machines 420cc lawn tractor will make things easier. Powered by a 420cc engine, this new-age lawn mower comes with a 7-speed gear shift that will inject more power to mow small ridges and hills with perfection. No matter how grassy the area is, this land mower will get the job done in no time.
Equipped with a 42-inch blade, as well as a 430cc engine, this lawn mower will be able to cut a wide area. Even if you are looking forward to mowing spacious yards, the Yard Machines 420cc lawn tractor will be the best choice without exhausting your pocket.
Features and Specifications:
- Has a 42-inch deck that makes it quite convenient for mowing through yards.
- With 7-speed shift and 420cc Powermore engine, it operates with absolute efficiency.
- Bagging and mulching is enabled to keep your yard clean and spotless.
- 18-inch turning radius makes it easier for maneuvering.
- Its pivot bar is made of steel, making it quite strong and durable.
- Deck cutting width is 42 inches and has a 5-position height adjustment.
- Front wheels are 15 x 6 inches, whilst its rear wheels are 2 x 8 inches.
- Has a 7-speed gear shift that makes it ideal for small hills and ridges
- Moves with ease on dense and grassy areas
- Efficient enough to cut a wide area with its 42-inch blade
- Seating is quite comfortable, making driving automatically easier
- Gas needs to be refueled from time to time
- Start-up power is not so strong
- Not so long-lasting and durable
Landowners looking for the best riding mower with more maneuverability for hills can now bring home the Poulan Pro P46ZX Riding Mower. High on comfort, durability and performance, this advanced mower comes with a dual wheel hydro transmission. With this, both the wheels stay in complete control and move flexibly in all directions.
Moreover, this mower will take half the time off your job compared to other mowers. It’s quite durable and needs minimal trimming in your yard. Give a clean look to your yard with this stylish lawn mower that promises zero complications.
Features and Specifications:
- Powered by a 22 HP Brigs and Stratton engine that makes it perform with no flaws.
- Has a 46-inch deck made of two-bladed steel and is, therefore, quite strong and durable.
- Cutting height ranges from 1.5 inches to 4 inches that can be adjusted as per one’s convenience.
- Equipped with a nose roller, a digital hour meter, user-friendly dual levers, and three anti-scalp rollers.
- 3-gallon fuel capacity and 6MPH speed lets it mow up to 2.4 acres on an hourly basis.
- Driving becomes easier with its electric clutch.
- Very powerful and can trim up to 2.8 acres on an hourly basis
- Its Briggs V-twin Pro 24HP engine completes the work quickly
- Six cutting height options are available for better performance
- Has a back seat measuring 15 inches
- Traction delivered is not so strong when the mower is in movement
- Needs a bit of assembling, despite being assembled initially
Things to Consider Before Buying a Riding Lawn Mower for Hills
If you need to adopt an effortless strategy for keeping your lawn clean and trimmed, you can always go for a riding lawn mower. Easy to mow and technologically advanced, lawn mowers can get your job done quickly in comparison to manual labor. However, if you are clueless about the best lawn mowers for steep hills, here are a few points that might help you:
- Yard conditions –
Prior to investing time buying a riding mower, you must do a thorough inspection of your yard. Remember, it should be able to glide well through the bushes and around the trees. Therefore, it is very important to check its turning radius, along with its front and rear wheels, as to how well they can keep the drive as smooth as possible.
- Fuel support –
One of the advantages of diesel-based ride-on mowers is that they have sufficient torque. This is why they are made to run by contractors at cheap prices on an hourly basis. Petrol, on the other hand, is cheaper to buy. However, when it comes to operation, they are much more expensive. Diesel mowers are usually preferred by today’s landscapers.
- Engine power –
Many yard owners check the efficiency, power and other aspects of the engine. But the majority fail to check whether the engine has a good cooling system and a proper oil filtering system. Remember, these aspects play a very important role in sustaining the engine’s longevity.
- Size of the mower deck –
Every lawn mower has a deck, and the smaller the yard, the smaller the deck. So, once again, it depends on the size of your yard. If it is a big one, go for a mower with a wider deck that will cut the grass finely. Therefore, knowing the width of a mowing deck is essential.
- User-friendliness –
This is a very important factor to consider when it comes to buying a lawn mower. If you are going to drive it, ensure that you are aware of all its functions. Everything should be known beforehand, from its wheels to fuel recharging.
- Maintenance –
The job will be considered incomplete until you check how your lawn mower scores in terms of maintenance. The engine is everything that will power up your mower. Therefore, it is very important to ensure that there are safety features that will safeguard the engine. This will add to its longevity. So, choose a mower with a quality engine that will get rid of debris easily. The more they stay clogged with the engine, the higher the chances of damage.
Aside from these points, you can always talk to an expert who will come up with some considerations to help you. Well, don’t be too dilemmatic and go for the best riding mower for hills. Happy mowing!
Types of Riding Lawn Mowers
Caring for a yard, whether big or small, is no joke. However, things can always ease up and get better with a lawn mower. With such moving technology, you are sure to add a clean, finished look to your lawn. But the tricky job is choosing the best riding mower for hills that will make the difference.
So, here is a list of the best lawn tractor for hills that will help you understand which one to pick for your own purpose. Take a look:
- Self-propelled lawn mower –
If you are have a medium-sized lawn, which refers to more than half an acre of land, this one is for you. Resembling almost a push lawn mower, these are made to propel forward by means of a transmission. Self-propelled lawn mowers come in two different speed systems: single-speed and variable-speed.
- Push Lawn Mower –
Small lawn owners are always happy with a Push Lawn Mower. These mowers usually operate by using multiple blades that vertically rotate for cutting the lawn. The best aspect of these mowers is that they do not use any type of oil. With a rear bagger and an 18-inch cutting width, they can haul away clippings with ease. Also, if you are having a flat lawn, a Push Lawn Mower can always be considered.
- Zero-turn Lawn Mower –
A zero-turn lawn mower will do justice to lawn owners who are not willing to give much time to mowing, yet expect a clean performance. These mowers are quite hardy because some of them have their foundation on one-piece steel frames. Such mowers usually come with two lap bars that regulate the direction and speed of the rear wheels independently. All types of lawn edges can be trimmed with zero-turn lawn mowers. Flat lawns with little inclines will undergo quality mowing with these lawn mowers.
- Riding a lawn mower –
People with larger properties, measuring up to two acres, will find Riding Lawn Mowers a suitable option. These lawn mowers are quite versatile because they have the ability to support diverse lawn mower attachments like snow plows and grass baggers. So, if you intend to make your mower pull spreaders and dump carts, this riding lawn mower is ideal. However, there are several riding mowers that can handle both uneven and flat terrains and get past all sorts of obstacles in the yard.
- Rear Engine Riding Mower –
Your mowing experience will never be as relaxing as when you are using this riding mower. They are featured by smaller cutting decks and are quite economical compared to zero-turn mowers. However, they are incapable of pulling heavy attachments and do not run at high speeds.
Now you just need to analyze your lawn conditions and, accordingly, choose the best mower for hills. Do it wisely in no hurry, so your investment won’t be in vain.
Riding Lawn Mower Safety Tips
Although you might be experienced when it comes to lawn mowing, knowing how to stay safe is always a wise thing. Here are a few important safety tips for those who are going to mow their yard, or are planning to get into lawn mowing:
- Keeps kids away –
Do not use your lawn mower as a kids’ car because this machine demands distance from the little ones. Rather, you can always take your toddler in and get a short drive around your yard. Make sure that your child is not playing around or running with it for fun.
- Get proper shoes –
If you think that lawn mowing is a job that can be done whilst wearing a pair of sandals, drop the idea. Go for footwear that is stable, so that you do not trip while mowing. Sneakers can do a good job instead.
- Throw away hard substances –
Objects like glass, stones and pebbles can affect the process of mowing. These actually refer to yard missiles that might even cause damage to the wheels. So, the moment you start inspecting your yard, start accumulating and throw them away. Once done, start your mower.
- Drive forward and not backward –
You can cause a major mishap if you try to pull the mower towards you. The correct way is to get it going forward. If you slip off unknowingly whilst going backwards, you might be left with the mower resting on top of you.
- Wear safety goggles –
Many lawn owners consider this to be unnecessary, but it is always better to wear a pair of safety goggles. Taking precautions beforehand will let you enjoy mowing.
Now that you have a good idea about the right lawn mower to use when it comes to lawn maintenance, you can bring home the best riding lawn mower for hills. Just make sure that the one you consider is strong and durable enough to withstand uneven areas and other obstacles. Moreover, check the deck size, the blade length, how compact the size is, and the engine power.
Remember, you might have to mow spacious yards, so you need to make the right choice. So, keep all of these points in mind, check the driving aspects, and pick the right mower within your budget.