Last Updated on
Been thinking about buying a manual pole saw lately? No worries, you’ve come to the right place. By now you must have known what the main focus of this review blog is – yep, manual pole saws.
Manual pole saws are subconsciously the first and most suitable choice for first-time pole saw buyers and beginners. The perfect choice of pole saw if you’d like to practice your pruning / cutting skills before jumping into more complex ones.
These tension-free tools have no hassle bussle of fuel, electricity, battery, or wires. But, never underestimate their capability as they can be as long as 21ft and have immense cutting power, on par with the other kinds of pole saws.
Manual pole saws are well-known for giving the user (you!) full grip and control to accurately target pruning spots. They come with a ray of special features like telescoping shaft, easy click on/off attachments, fiberglass poles, impulse hardened blades and more. You’ll see more of them below!
5 Best Overall Manual Pole Saw Reviews of 2020
1. Fiskars Chain Drive 7–16 Foot Extendable Pole Saw & Pruner
With the Fiskars Chain-drive 16ft extendable tree pruner, you can cut down the thickest branches in your lawn with no trouble at all. Not just that. This Fiskars model is completely lightweight, easy-to-use and has high durability.
The comfy grip handle allows you to do pruning works effortlessly. It can be extended from 7ft up to 16ft to maximize your cutting reach. It consists of a steel precision-ground pruner and 15” WoodZig saw – a double offer! This is undoubtedly an ideal 2-in-1 tree trimming system for all your pruning and cutting needs.
Check out this tool’s specifications and features below:
Specifications and Features
- Unique chain-driven gearing system to give you 3 times more intense cutting power and strength.
- Includes a stout steel precision-ground pruner to trim branches up to 1-1/4 inches thick and a 15” WoodZig saw with a hooked tip to cut down thicker branches with ultimate ease.
- Presents you with 2 different cutting options and extends up to 16ft.
- Separate dual locking mechanism for both the extendable parts – to keep the extensions in place.
- Oval shaped aluminium fiberglass extension shafts to minimize swaying and precisely maintain the cutting zone.
- Compact lightweight design – only 5.56 lbs to reduce fatigue and increase control.
- The top head has distinct internal parts to minimize snagging.
- Portable and perfect for camps and hike trips.
2. Silky KatanaBoy Professional Series Folding Saw
Silky’s KatanaBoy professional series folding saw is a premium-grade, heavy-duty saw that is guaranteed to provide you great comfort and cutting strength. This saw is a complete pleasure to use in all situations.
The two-handed saw with a 19-4/5 inch blade is built tough enough to compete with a chainsaw. A real “man-powered” saw that you can get online for great discounts and offers.
Being one of the largest of its kind in the market, it is undeniably great for use during off road adventures. This is a peculiarly designed, well engineered saw you can’t afford to miss.
Here are its specifications in thorough detail:
Specifications and Features
- 19.7” blade with 4.2 teeth per inch teeth configuration.
- Carry around your KatanaBoy folding saw in style with the free synthetic fiber over-the-shoulder carrying case.
- The perfect and most suitable manual pole saw for cutting timber and other similar tree trunks.
- The well-balanced, exceptional design reflects in its superior quality materials and unbeatable cutting power.
- Non-slip rubber handle for easy grip and control – fits the shape of your hand.
- Carbon-steel blade designed in a delicate way to deliver you ultra smooth cuts.
- Saw blade made of premium SK4 high carbon steel of 2mm thickness.
- Limited warranty against defects in materials and workmanship.
3. Fiskars 7.9-12 Foot Extendable Tree Pruning Stik Pruner
The Fiskars 7.9 – 12 ft extendable tree pruning stik pruner is an easy-to-handle, highly reliable tool that’ll simplify your pruning tasks to a huge extent.
Its slick and lightweight, 12ft long design will allow you to cut large tree branches in a very leveled, hassle-free way.
This Fiskars pruner boasts a 230 degree rotating head and rope-free design that in turn, offers you a better 2-handed grip and accuracy even in between tight spaces.
Check out the long list of specifications and features below to find out more by yourself!
Specifications and Features
- Exclusive power-stroke chain-driven gearing mechanism for high intensity cutting power and strength.
- The rope-free, simplified design enables you to use both hands to operate it – greater precision and control.
- Includes a 15” WoodZig saw to handle larger, thicker branches with ultra-ease.
- Can be extended from 7.9ft to 12 ft and features an actuating ball at the tip to allow you to reach even farther.
- Easy-to-grip handle ensures a firm and secure hold.
- Hardened steel pruning blade with low-friction, rust-resistant coating for the toughest cutting jobs.
4. NOTCH 40207 Pole Saw Set
Finding high quality affordable products, especially pole saws isn’t that easy. But wait… here is one for those of you there who have a budget of $100 and below.
The Notch 40207 pole saw is an incredibly economical and structurally robust saw that will be perfect addition to your tool kit. This might just be the life-saving product for home gamers! With its 3-ext capability and superior interlocking fiberglass poles that professionals use, this is definitely one not to miss!
Take a closer look at its specifications and features as below.
Specifications and Features
- Professional-grade interlocking fiberglass poles for optimum stability and durability.
- High-tech impulse hardened teeth for intense sharp cuts.
- Sturdy and portable design construction – weighs only 8.4 pounds.
- Advanced rust resistant chrome plating feature.
- Includes a hook at the tip to easily pull down entangled or loose branches.
- 15″ heavy duty double thick blade of 1.8mm to cut down even the thickest branches in no time.
- Enables you to extend the pole up to 26ft – thus, you can happily leave the ladder in the garage.
5. Jameson LS-6PKG-6 LS-Series Landscaper Pole Saw Kit
The Jameson LS-6PKG-6 LS-Series Landscaper pole saw is definitely one to take a closer look at. Its Taiwanese blades and the different cutting positions available are sure to give you an unmatchable cutting experience.
The cross cut saw is well designed and structured to give you optimal comfort and safety whilst using it. On my part, I strongly recommend you this 100% reliable product that you can’t afford to miss. With this darling, you can take some rest and let the blade do the work!
Here are its specifications and features:
Specifications and Features
- Adaptable multi-functional 3 pole system enables you to trim at various heights as per your needs.
- Features a 16″ Barracud tri-cut coated fiberglass saw blade to simply knife through wood like butter.
- Lower head attachment for easy maneuvering in between and through overgrown foliage.
- The full package comes with a 6ft base pole, 6ft extendable pole and another 6ft extension pole with a permanently mounted saw head on it – giving you a total reach of 18ft!
- Aluminium ferrules with external spring buttons to allow any combination of attachments.
- Lightweight design – only 7.8 pounds.
- One year warranty
How To Choose the Best Manual Pole Saw?
There are certain things to be conscious of when choosing the perfect manual pole saw for you.
The basic function of a manual pole saw is obviously to help you prune tree branches and twigs. But besides that, manual saws nowadays come with multiple premium features to attract customers and provide them a better cutting experience.
Features and specifications like type of blade, extension parts, overall reach, safety precautionary measures etc. are utterly important too. Even before you start to look for a manual pole saw, make sure to be vividly clear of what your lawn needs.
For example, type of wood that needs to be cut, maximum height required, type of branches (lined neat or cramped) and more custom things that need to be noted.
Here’s my personal checklist that I tick off before purchasing a manual pole saw (hope it helps you too!):
- Mark down the areas that need the utmost urgent trimming / pruning as of now – to buy an extra strong replacement blade or a different attachment for it (like sickle or saw).
- The areas where you’d have to prune very often – to choose a blade which suits those types of trees / shrubs. (Thick blades for hard wood like oak and thinner versions for soft wood)
- The average diameter and size of branches.
- Calculate the minimum and maximum height of trees you need to prune – to buy a manual pole saw with combos like low cut extensions and high reach extensions.
- Length of the pole – depends upon your comfort range.
- Cutting blade’s length and thickness – for effective cutting without swaying.
- Operating weight of the pole saw – depends upon your strength and allows portability accordingly,
- Sheath / holster / scabbard / blade cover features of the saw – really important for safety, especially if you’ve got kids around you.
- Locking features of extensions and attachments – to ensure the tool’s parts don’t slip or slide out.
- Comfort of handle and grip – essential to accurately target spots and reduce wobbliness.
- The price $$ tag – don’t overspend or under-spend! Always compare, compare and compare!
- Overall reviews and ratings! One of the predominant things you need to check for.
Hundreds, if not thousands of ratings and reviews of existing customers who have used the specific model are available online. Be sure to watch out for them. (I know that you guys are already know this, because you’ve come here!)
In a Nutshell, Why Buying a Manual Pole Saw?
There are numerous advantages and reasons for you to buy a manual pole saw…especially for beginners (as mentioned previously).
Here’s why you’ll never regret purchasing a manual pole saw:
- Manual pole saws are usually light in weight as there’s no motor, battery, fuel tank, gas tank or wires dangling around – perfect for everyday and occasional pruning works.
- Comparatively inexpensive – if you don’t want to spend hundreds of dollars and are strong enough to do a little muscle work, manual pole saws are perfect for you.
- Manual pole saws can vary a ton in length and reach. The highest I know of is 21ft. Does any of you know a manual pole saw exceeding 21ft?
- Low, easy maintenance – no need to run to the gas station, or be upset over a electricity shutdown, or growl over a battery not working. Undoubtedly the easiest type of pole saw to maintain.
- Product Warranties – manual pole saws usually have longer warranty periods as compared to others. Some even have lifetime warranties!
- Might subconsciously bless you with arm muscles! (if used regularly)
As you might have figured out by now, manual pole saws’ uses are not just limited to pruning and trimming. They are extremely useful for a variety of purposes like construction projects, lawn maintenance, camping and any other similar tasks. All credits to their versatile nature and built.
Choosing the right manual pole saw for you is essential as it can either turn into an unmatchable cutting experience or a junky piece of nightmare.
Go through the checklist above to choose the best choice for both your lawn and wallet!
Give you trees and shrubs a fresh, manicured look this coming winter. And yes, you do feel like a samurai warrior when using a manual pole saw!