As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Last Updated on December 1, 2020 by Alex Falasca
If you have a lawn or a backyard, the chances are that you call for professional help to take care of unruly hedges and shrubs on a regular basis. If so, a deep hole is burnt into your pocket every time you use these services.
This is why it’s a good idea to buy some products that will help you to take care of your simpler gardening needs with relative ease and without spending large sums of money. These products include hedge trimmers. You should do your research before buying any and choose the best hedge trimmer for your needs.
Our Reviews of the Top 7 Hedge Trimmers
1. BLACK+DECKER LHT2436 40V Cordless Hedge Trimmer
The Black+Decker LHT2436 is a hedge trimmer that comes with a powerful 40 volt battery that can clear about 6,000 acres worth of shrubbery in a single charge. The product can cut through branches that are about 3-4 inches thick.
The front handle comes with a soft grip that ensures a secure hold and safety whilst trimming. The blades are 24-inch dual blades that cause about 40 percent less vibration, reducing user fatigue. The powerful battery-operated trimmer is also good for the environment.
- Comes with a powerful 40 volt lithium ion battery that is rechargeable.
- The blade can shear and reach branches up to 3-4 inches thick.
- The blade is also dual action, 24 inches, and vibrates less to offer ease of use.
- It can clear about 6,000 acres of shrubbery in one charge.
- The front handle is wrapped to provide the user with maximum comfort.
- Includes a 40 volt fast charger.
- Its dimensions are 7.5 inch by 7.3 inch by 39.25 inch.
2. GreenWorks 22272 G-MAX 40V 20-Inch Cordless Pole Hedge Trimmer
The Green Works GMAX 40 volt 2.0 amp 20-inch is the best cordless pole hedge trimmer and comes with the trusted guarantee of Green Works. It not only takes care of your gardening needs with expert ease but causes hardly any environmental damage.
The product comes with a powerful lithium-ion 40 volt 2.0 amp battery and a charger. The cutting capability provided is ⅝ inches and easily takes care of unruly hedges and shrubs. The head can be adjusted to pivot in three different directions, so you have better extended reach.Features and Specifications
- The product is compact: 77.8 inches by 4.5 inches by 8 inches.
- It is lightweight, weighing about 9.6 pounds, but the shipping weight is about 13.3 pounds.
- It also comes with a Green Works GMAX 2 amp 40-volt lithium ion battery.
- The xtendable handle provides added reach.
- The head pivots to three different positions that can be adjusted according to user need.
- The blade’s cutting capacity is the ⅝ inches and provides a powerful trimming capability.It’s also pretty easy to use.
3. GreenWorks 22102 2.7 Amp 18-Inch Corded Hedge Trimmer
There is a reason why GreenWorks’ gardening products are among the most trusted in the market. They ensure durability and performance and take care to lessen environmental damage. Their hedge trimmers are no exception.
These machines provide you with raw power to take on hedges and shrubbery with ease. They are battery-powered, come with dual bladed technology, and are lightweight, ensuring less exhaustion and effort on your part. This particular product comes with four years’ worth of warranty, double the usual industry standard.
Features and Specifications
- The product is 33.7 inches by 6.5 inches by 7.3 inches in size.
- The item is lightweight and weights around 6.3 pounds.
- The 18 inch dual action steel blade can be used for optimal performance and maneuvering.
- It comes with a 2.7-ampere powerful electric motor that can take care of your shrubbery and trimming needs in a jiffy.
- It has a cutting capacity of ⅜ inches – perfect for bushes.
- The steel blade has added dual action technology that ensures perfect performance and ease of use.
4. Tanaka TCH22ECP2 21cc 2-Cycle Gas Hedge Trimmer
The Tanaka TCH22ECP2 is a plush, gas-powered hedge trimmer geared towards professional landscaping. The trimmer has 30-inch-long, three-sided commercial cutting blades, whilst dual reciprocation provides maximum cutting efficiency for the user.
Boasting a powerful 21.1 CC Pure fire 2-Cycle engine, the trimmer also comes equipped with a 4-point anti-vibration system to make trimming smoother. The 5-position rear handle provides users with a good grip and maximum maneuverability. The S-Start, as well as a Purge Bulb, reduces the effort of starting by reducing the pull-force by 50%.
Features and Specifications
- Equipped with a powerful 21.1 CC Pure Fire 2-Cycle engine and a 4-Point Anti-Vibration system to reduce the effort of the user.
- S-Start with Purge Bulb reduces the pulling effort by a mind boggling 50%, making starting very easy.
- The 3-sided and dual-reciprocating 30-inch commercial grade cutting blades provide maximum cutting efficiency.
- Features a 5-position rear handle, providing untroubled operation.
- Forward-facing exhaust prevents any trouble that can be caused by burnt hedges.
- 10.1 fluid ounce fuel tank capacity provides more than enough room for fuel for a day’s work.
5. Poulan Pro PP2822 22-Inch 28cc 2 Cycle Gas Powered Dual Sided Hedge Trimmer
The Poulan Pro PP2822 22-Inch 28cc 2 Cycle Gas-Powered Dual Sided Hedge Trimmer is a sturdy trimmer that’s sure to make your gardening chores easier.
It comes loaded with a 28-CC 2-Cycle gas-powered engine that’s reliable and powerful. The 22-inch blades are serrated and dual-sided to make trimming easier and reduce user effort. It also has a new swivel position handle to allow you to change positions comfortably and with a secure grip. It come with a 2-year warranty for your convenience.
Features and Specifications
- Comes equipped with a 28 CC 2-Cycle gas-powered engine that’s very powerful and robust.
- The 22-inch dual-sided blades are saw-toothed and can cut through thick branches easily.
- The new swivel position front handle makes it convenient to change positions with a secure grip and comes in handy when shaping bushes.
- The trimmer weighs 15.8 pounds but lasts much longer than the electric ones.
- Comes with a 2-year warranty for the consumer and a 30-day replacement warranty for user convenience.
6. DEWALT DCHT820P1 20 V Max Hedge Trimmer with 5AH Pack
The DEWALT DCHT820P1 20v MAX Hedge Trimmer is an opulent compact trimmer that will help you with all of your gardening chores.
The trimmer comes equipped with a powerful 20-Volt MAX*5Ah Lithium-Ion battery which lasts a very long. Its 22-inch steel blade is a tooth blade design to make cuts clean and fast. It can easily cut through branches ¾ inches thick. This trimmer has a very compact design and it’s very lightweight considering the features it packs, weighing just 7.5 pounds. As such, it’s easier to maneuver.Features and Specifications
- Comes with a 20-Volt MAX*5Ah Lithium-Ion battery with a very high capacity to last for a very long time.
- The 22-inch long hardened steel blades can cut through branches ¾ inches thick, whilst a tooth blade design makes cleaner and faster cuts.
- A very compact and light weight design, weighing just 7.5 pounds, to increase manoeuvrability and efficiency for the user.
- Tool starts up easily with a push of the trigger and requires little maintenance since it doesn’t have any carburetors or air filters.
7. BLACK+DECKER LHT2220 20V Lithium-Ion Hedge Trimmer, 22″
The Black+Decker 20-volt MAX Lithium 22-inch cordless hedge trimmer comes packed with features to help you with your gardening needs. Jacked with a 20-Volt MAX Lithium-Ion battery, this trimmer lasts for a good amount of time.
The 22-inch dual action blades come with 40 less vibrations, making the job of the user smoother and more efficient. The full wrap-around front handle provides the user with full cushioning in all cutting orientations to make tasks more comfortable. Weighing just 5.7 pounds, this trimmer is one of the lightest trimmers in its category, making working with it almost effortless.
Features and Specifications
- Equipped with a long lasting 20-Volt MAX Lithium-Ion battery, so no extension cord is required.
- The 22-inch long dual action blades can cut branches up to 3/4-inch in diameter.
- Comes with a full wrap-around front handle that provides proper cushioning in all cutting positions to make the task more comfortable.
- 22-inch blades cut branches with 40% less vibration to make the process smoother.
- Weighs just 5.7 pounds to make the trimming process effortless.
- Can cut up to 3000 square-feet of hedges per charge.
- Backed with a 2-year warranty.
Types of Hedge Trimmers
There are several different kinds of hedge trimmers and cutters. When manufacturers discuss hedge trimmers and cutters, they’re not very specific about which ones they are talking about. Some tend to differentiate between the two by saying that the cutters are bigger machines and have wider spaces between teeth.
This article talks about the hand-held ones that have two blades that scissor each other. Hedge trimmers either come with teeth on both sides or just one side. The ones that come with teeth on both sides are easier to handle and take care of more gardening needs than the single-sided ones. You can use them to cut on both sides with relative ease.
There are several different kinds of hedge trimmers and cutters. When manufacturers discuss hedge trimmers and cutters, they’re not very specific about which ones they are talking about. Some tend to differentiate between the two by saying that the cutters are bigger machines and have wider spaces between teeth. This article talks about the hand-held ones that have two blades that scissor each other.
Hedge trimmers either come with teeth on both sides or just one side. The ones that come with teeth on both sides are easier to handle and take care of more gardening needs than the single-sided ones. You can use them to cut on both sides with relative ease.
The single-sided ones are longer and can be used to cut a lot of shrubbery in one go. They are usually used by professional contractors. They are lighter than the ones with double sides and you have to use a kind of pushing movement to use them. Some hedge trimmers come with cutting heads that can be adjusted. They are also long reach, so you can easily reach and trim taller hedges without the use of ladders.
Hedge trimmers can also be differentiated by the kinds of engines they use. Since using the devices for long periods of time can be tiring, a lot of them use lighter two-stroke engines. Some, though, use tiny four-stroke ones that can take being tilted at different angles. These make use of the dry sump kind of lubrication.
The two-stroke engines were initially hard to start but that’s not the case anymore. There are also electric ones that are cheaper and pretty easy to maintain because you do not need the use of a clutch, but they are not as powerful as the petrol ones.
How to choose the best hedge trimmer?
These days it doesn’t make sense to seek professional help every time you need to trim an unruly hedge or shrub in your backyard. This wastes time and money. Most simple gardening needs can be taken care of by using simple products that are readily available in the market. The hedge trimmer and cutter is one such device that you should keep handy. But how does one choose the best trimmer for oneself?
There are a lot of different hedge trimmers available in the market, so ensure that you make a list of what you need and do your research before you buy one. For example, there are ones with differences in blades. The long single-bladed ones are usually chosen by professional contractors. They are harder to wield and buying them doesn’t make sense unless you have a lot of acres to hedge.
The double-bladed ones are lighter but not suitable for a professional job. The gas-powered ones are more powerful, whilst the battery-powered ones are lighter, more environment-friendly and easier to start. There are also some that come with tiny four engines that cause less vibration and fatigue.
How to maintain a hedge trimmer
Hedge trimmers help you to take care of your gardening needs. There are a lot of different options available in the market and most are lightweight and come with powerful and durable bodies. This means that your work can be done without burning holes into your pocket by getting professional help. It’s also very important for you to take care of your devices so you don’t have to replace them anytime soon. Thankfully, taking care of most hedge trimmers is pretty easy and cheap.
Here are some of the ways you can take care of your hedge trimmers:
- Apply lubricant often: start by ensuring that your trimmer is unplugged and the blade has stopped moving. Get a clean piece of cloth, put some lubricating oil on it, and apply it evenly on both sides of the blade. In case you are using your trimmer for a long period of time, you might need to switch off the trimmer and lubricate it. You will know if your trimmer needs lubrication because the blade will start to get sluggish.
- Sharpen your blades: your machine will have come with strong damage-proof blades, meaning that they will not get broken or nicked easily. But, in case you do damage it accidentally, do not keep using it and try to take it to an authorized service center as soon as possible.
- Store your trimmer properly: ensure that you store your machine indoors and away from moisture and humidity. Keep it out of reach of children and anyone who might accidentally damage it.
- Clean it properly before storing it.
- Handles should be dry and grease-free.
- Clean it after use. Never clean it with water.
- When traveling, put the blade inside the provided scabbard.
- Do not use solvents or powerful detergents to clean it.
Hedge trimmers will easily take care of all of your simpler gardening needs. If stored properly, they can help you with your work for a long time. If you actually do your research before buying a trimmer, you will be able to choose the best hedge trimmer that fits your needs perfectly.
There are battery-powered hedge trimmers and gas-fueled ones. The gas-fueled ones are usually more powerful, whilst the battery operated ones are more environment-friendly and lightweight. Most of them come with low vibrations that ensure less fatigue while working. The dual-bladed technology in some makes works much easier.