If you have a lawn or a backyard, chances are that you need to enlist professional help often to take care of unruly hedges and shrubs in the area. But this means that a deep hole is burnt into your pocket every time you do it. Which is why it is a good idea to have some products that will help you take care of your simpler gardening needs with relative ease and without spending money every time. One of these products that you should keep handy are the hedge trimmers. You should do your research before buying any, and choose the best hedge trimmer.
Top 5 Hedge Trimmer Comparison Chart:
- DEWALT DCHT820P1 20 V Max Hedge Trimmer
- Part of the 20V MAX system of tools
- Powerful high output motor
- Compact and lightweight design
- Poulan Pro PP2822 Gas Powered Hedge Trimmer
- 22-inch cutting length
- 28cc engine
- Dual sided, serrated blades
- Tanaka TCH22ECP2 21cc 2-Cycle Gas Hedge Trimmer
- 5 position rear handle for maximum comfort and maneuverability
- Forward-facing exhaust prevents burnt hedges
- 30" commercial dual reciprocating blades
- BLACK+DECKER LHT2220 Hedge Trimmer
- Up to 3000 square feet of actual hedges trimmed per charge
- Quickly cuts branches up to 3/4-inch thick
- Powered by 20-volt MAX lithium-ion battery,
- Poulan Pro 967044601 40V Hedge Trimmer
- Generous Cutting Capacity for trimming branches up to 3/4 in
- 24 in. Dual Action Blades offer extended reach
- Instant Start Button for quick and easy starting
Check out our Reviews of Top 8 Hedge Trimmer
BLACK+DECKER LHT2436 40V Cordless Hedge Trimmer
The Black Decker LHT2436 is a hedge trimmer that comes with a powerful 40 volt battery that can clear through about 6000 acres worth of shrubbery in a single charge. The product can cut through branches that are about 3 to 4 inches thick. The front handle comes with a soft grip that not only ensures comfort while trimming but also makes sure of secure hold and safety. The blades are 24 inches dual blades and cause about 40 percent less vibration which basically means it causes less fatigue. The powerful battery operated trimmer is also good for the environment.
- Comes with a powerful 40 volt lithium ion battery that is recharable
- The blade can shear and can branches that are up to 3 to 4 inches thick
- The blade is also dual action and 24 inches and vibrates less to offer ease of use
- It can clear through about 6000 acres of shrubbery in one charge
- The front handle is wrapped to provide the user maximum comfort
- Includes a 40 volt fast charger
- The dimensions of product are 7.5 inch by 7.3 inch by 39.25 inch
- The 40 volt lithium battery packs a lot of power in one tiny compact body.
- The lithium bodies last longer and are better for the environment than the ones that are gas powered.
- The battery gets charged in an hour.
- The battery creates trouble for a lot of users. The batteries have to be replaced since the original doesn’t last.
GreenWorks 22272 G-MAX 40V 20-Inch Cordless Pole Hedge Trimmer
The Green Works GMAX 40 volt 2.0 amp 20-inch is the best cordless pole hedge trimmer comes with the trusted guarantee of Green Works. It not only takes care of your gardening needs with expert ease but makes sure to cause next to no environmental damage. The product comes with a powerful lithium-ion 40 volt 2.0 amp battery and its charger. The cutting capability provided is the ⅝ inch and makes sure to easily take care of all unruly hedges and shrubbery. The head can be adjusted to pivot in three different directions, making sure you have better-extended reach
- The product is compact and is 77.8 inches by 4.5 inches by 8 inches
- It is pretty lightweight and only comes to about 9.6 pounds but the shipping weight is about 13.3 pounds.
- It also comes with a Green Works GMAX 2 amp 40-volt lithium ion battery.
- Extendable handle that provides added reach.
- The head pivots to three different positions that can be adjusted according to need.
- The blade’s cutting capacity is the ⅝ inch and provides powerful trimming capability and is pretty easy to use.
- The heads can be adjusted to pivot in three different angles and provides ease of use
- Comes with a powerful beast of a motor
- Has a dual action steel blade of 20 inches
- Long-lasting 2AH battery and charger is included
- Cannot be used to trim thicker branches or it might damage the dual blades
- Battery needs to be replaced sometimes
GreenWorks 22102 2.7 Amp 18-Inch Corded Hedge Trimmer
There is a reason the GreenWorks gardening products are among the most trusted in the market. They do not only ensure durability and performance but also take care to lessen the environmental costs. Their hedge trimmers are no exception. The beasts of machines make sure to provide you with raw power to take on all hedges and shrubbery with ease. They are battery powered and come with dual bladed technology. They are also lightweight, ensuring less exhaustion and effort on your part. The powerful product also comes with four year’s worth of warranty, which is double the usual industry standard.
- The product is 33.7 inches by 6.5 inches by 7.3 inches in size.
- The item is also lightweight and comes around to 6.3 pounds.
- 18-Inch dual action steel blade for optimal performance and maneuvering
- It comes with a 2.7-ampere powerful electric motor which can take care of your shrubbery trimming needs in a jiffy
- It also has a cutting capacity of ⅜ inch, which is perfect for bushes
- The steel blade has added dual action technology that ensures perfect performance and ease of use
- The tool works pretty effortlessly
- It is lightweight and leaves next to no carbon footprint
- It is cheaper than most trimmers available in the market but works far better
- The warranty lasts four years, which is double the industry standard.
- The battery seems to create trouble for users.
- It is also not very good for anything other than small branches.
Tanaka TCH22ECP2 21cc 2-Cycle Gas Hedge Trimmer
The Tanaka TCH22ECP2 is plush gas-powered hedge trimmer geared towards professional landscaping. The trimmer with its 30-inch long commercial cutting blades which are three-sided and dual reciprocation provides maximum cutting efficiency for the user. Boasting a powerful 21.1 CC Pure fire 2-Cycle engine, the trimmer also comes equipped with a 4-point anti-vibration system to make the trimming smoother. The 5-position rear handle provides the user a good grip with maximum maneuverability. The S-Start, as well as a Purge Bulb, reduces the effort of starting by reducing the pull-force by 50%.
- Equipped with a powerful 21.1 CC Pure Fire 2-Cycle engine and a 4-Point Anti-Vibration system to reduce the effort of the user.
- S-Start with Purge Bulb reduces the pulling effort for a mind boggling 50% making the starting very easy.
- The 3 sided and dual reciprocating 30-inch commercial grade cutting blades provide maximum cutting efficiency.
- Features a 5-position rear handle providing untroubled operation.
- Forward facing exhaust prevents any trouble that can be caused by burnt hedges.
- 10.1 fluid ounce fuel tank capacity provides more than enough room for fuel for a day’s work.
- Dynamic 21.1 CC Pure Fire 2-Cycle Engine equipped with an anti-vibration system.
- 30-inches long effective and 3-sided dual reciprocating commercial grade blades.
- 5-Position rear handle providing more comfort and maximum maneuverability.
- 10.1 Fluid Ounce Fuel tank capacity providing more than enough fuel to work through any hedges.
- 7-Years consumer warranty and 2-year commercial warranty.
- Heavy with a weight of 11.4 pounds may put some pressure on shoulders of the user.
- No extension or articulated arm can be added.
Poulan Pro PP2822 22-Inch 28cc 2 Cycle Gas Powered Dual Sided Hedge Trimmer
The Poulan Pro PP2822 22-Inch 28cc 2 Cycle Gas Powered Dual Sided Hedge Trimmer is a sturdy trimmed that is sure to make your gardening chores easier. It comes loaded with a 28-CC 2-Cycle gas powered engine which is reliable and powerful. The 22-inch blades are serrated and dual sided to make the trimming easier and reduce your effort. It also has a new swivel position handle to allow you to change positions comfortably and with a secure grip. It also come with a 2-year warranty to make it convenient for the user.
- Comes equipped with a 28 CC 2 Cycle Gas powered engine which is very powerful and robust.
- The 22-inch dual sided blades are saw-toothed and can cut through thick branches easily.
- The new swivel position front handle makes it convenient to change positions with a secure grip and comes in handy for shaping the bushes.
- The trimmer weighs 15.8 pounds and cover for it by lasting very much longer than the electric ones.
- Comes with a 2-year warranty for the consumer and a 30-day replacement warranty for user convenience.
- The 28-CC 2 Cycle gas powered engine is very powerful and sturdy.
- 22-inch serrated, and dual sided blades make trimming thick branches easier.
- Front handle with the new swivel position allows you to change the positions easily for a more comfortable AND SECURE GRIP.
- Usage for a long time can cause strain and pain in your shoulders because of its weight.
- Makes a lot of noise.
DEWALT DCHT820P1 20 V Max Hedge Trimmer with 5AH Pack
The DEWALT DCHT820P1 20v MAX Hedge Trimmer is an opulent compact trimmer that will surely help you in your gardening chores. The trimmer comes equipped with a powerful 20-Volt MAX*5Ah Lithium-Ion battery which lasts very long. Its 22-inch steel blade is tooth blade design to make the cuts clean and fast and can easily cut through branches as thick as ¾ inches. This trimmer has a very compact design and it’s very lightweight for the features it packs weighing just 7.5 pounds making it easier to maneuver and gives less stress to your arms.
- Comes jacked with a 20-Volt MAX*5Ah Lithium-Ion battery with a very high capacity to last very long.
- 22-inch long hardened steel blades can cut through branches as think as ¾ inch and are tooth blade design to make cleaner and faster cuts.
- A very compact and light weight design weighing just 7.5 pounds to increase manoeuvrability and efficiency for the user.
- Tool starts up easily with a push of the trigger and requires very less maintenance since it doesn’t have any carburetors or air filters.
- Long lasting and high capacity 20-Volt MAX*5Ah Li-ion battery.
- Hardened steel blades in tooth blade design engineered for clean and fast cuts.
- Compact and light weight at just 7.5 pounds for reducing effort and strain in arms.
- 3-Year warranty with 1-year free service.
- 5Ah battery is heavier than a normal 20-Volt Li-ion battery.
- Doesn’t have any air filters.
BLACK+DECKER LHT2220 20V Lithium-Ion Hedge Trimmer, 22″
The Black & Decker 20-volt MAX Lithium 22-inch cordless hedge trimmer comes packed with features helping you for your gardening needs. Jacked with 20-Volt MAX Lithium-Ion battery this trimmer lasts for a good amount of time. The 22-inch dual action blades come with 40 less vibrations making the job of the user smoother and more efficient. The full wrap-around front handle provides the user with full cushioning in all cutting orientations to make the task more comfortable. Weighing just 5.7 pounds, this trimmer is one of the lightest trimmers in its category making working with it almost effortless. Read More
- Equipped with a long lasting 20-Volt MAX Lithium-Ion battery so no extension cord is required.
- The 22-inch long dual action blades can cut branches up to 3/4-inch in diameter.
- Comes with a full wrap-around front handle providing proper cushioning in all cutting positions to make the task comfortable.
- 22-inch blades cut branches with 40% less vibration to make the process smoother.
- Weighs just 5.7 pounds to make the trimming process effortless.
- Can cut up to 3000 square-feet of hedges per charge.
- Backed with a 2-Year Warranty
- 20-Volt MAX Lithium-Ion battery lasts longer than any other in this product’s price range.
- Full wrap-around front handle provides pleasant cushioning for all trimming positions.
- Weighs just 5.7 pounds to make the trimming process a piece of cake.
- Causes too much friction for larger shrubs.
- The blower battery exhausts after 45 minutes.
Poulan Pro 967044601 40V Dual Steel Hedge Trimmer
The Poulan Pro 40-Volt Dual Steel Hedge Trimmer is a very effective trimmer giving you all the help you need to trim those bushes. Equipped with a smart 40-Volt battery, you won’t have any problems in starting this trimmer as it comes with a push button and saves you the hassle of pulling a cord. It features an impressive 24-inch long dual action blade to cut those thick branches up to ¾ inch easily. The rotating rear handle gives a comfortable grip in every cutting orientation. It is also backed by a 4-year warranty for the convenience of the consumer.
- Loaded with a 40-Volt Lithium-Ion rechargeable smart battery for long durability and performance.
- 24-inch long dual action blades give an extended reach for better trimming and makes cutting thick branches easy.
- Rotating rear handle gives a comfortable grip in all cutting orientations.
- Weighs 11.5 pounds which makes the efforts of the user considerably less.
- Starts with a push button to save you the troubles of pulling a cord.
- A very quiet operation ensures that you don’t disturb the neighborhood.
- Comes with a 4-year warranty.
- 40-Volt Lithium-Ion battery provides performance and durability typical of traditional gas-powered tools.
- Runs quietly.
- 24-inch long dual action blades make the work clean and precise with a professional look to it.
- Rotating rear handle provides a good grip in all cutting positions.
- Usage for a long time may cause pain in the shoulders.
- Blade cover is made of cheap plastic
Types of Hedge Trimmers
There are several different kinds of hedge trimmers and cutters. When manufacturers talk about hedge trimmers and cutters, they tend to not be very specific about which one they are talking about. Some tend to differentiate between the two by saying that the cutters are bigger machines and wider spaces between teeth. The one this article talks about is the hand-held ones that have two blades that scissor each other. Hedge trimmers come with either teeth on both sides or just one side. The ones with come with teeth on both sides are easier to handle and help take care of more gardening needs than the single-sided ones. You can use them to cut on both sides with relative ease.
The single-sided ones are longer and can be used to cut a lot of shrubbery in one go and is usually used by professional contractors. They are even lighter from the ones with double sides. You have to use a kind of pushing the movement to use them.Some hedge trimmers come with cutting heads that can be adjusted. They are also pomg reach so you can easily reach and trim taller hedges without the use of ladders. Hedge trimmers can also be differentiated by the kinds of engines they use. Since using the devices for long can be tiring, a lot of them use lighter two-stroke engines. Some, though, use tiny four-stroke ones that can take being tilted at different angles. These make use of the dry sump kind of lubrication. The two-stroke engines were initially hard to start but that’s hardly the case anymore.There are also electric ones are cheaper and pretty easy to maintain because you do not need the use of clutch but they are not as powerful as the petrol ones.
How to choose the best hedge trimmer?
These days it doesn’t make sense to seek professional help every time you need to trim an unruly hedge or shrubbery in your backyard. Not only does that cost you a lot of money every time but also means you have to wait for people to arrive and help you out, wasting a lot of your time. Most simple gardening needs can be taken care of by using some simple products that are readily available in the market. The hedge trimmer and cutter is one such device that you need to keep handy just in case you have a yard that tends to get wild often. But how does one choose the best trimmer for oneself?
There are a lot of different hedge trimmers available in the market so make sure you make a list of what you need and do your research before you buy one. There are ones with the difference in blades. For example, the long single-bladed ones that are usually chosen by professional contractors. They are harder to wield and buying them doesn’t make sense unless you have a lot of acres worth of land to hedge. The double bladed ones are lighter but not suitable for the professional level of work. There are the gas powered ones that are more powerful and battery powered ones that are lighter, more environment-friendly and easier to start. There are also some that come with tiny four engines that cause less vibration and fatigue.
How To Maintain a Hedge Trimmer
Hedge trimmers help you take care of a lot of your gardening needs. There are a lot of different options available in the market and most are light-weight options that also come with powerful and durable bodies that make sure your work is done without you having to burn holes into your pocket by getting professional help. Which is why it is very important for you to take care of your devices so you don’t have to replace them anytime soon. Thankfully, taking care of most hedge trimmers is pretty easy and cheap.
Here are some of the ways you can take care of your hedge trimmers:
- Apply lubricant often: start with ensuring your trimmer is unplugged and the blade has stopped moving. Get a clean piece of cloth, take some lubricating oil on it and apply it evenly on both sides of the blade. In case you are using your trimmer for long, you might need to switch off the trimmer and lubricate it. You will know if your trimmer needs lubrication if the blade starts getting sluggish.
- Sharpen your blades: your machine will have come with strong damage proof blade which means it will not get broken or nicked easily. But in case you do damage it accidentally, do not keep using it and try to take it to an authorized service center as soon as possible.
- Store your trimmer properly: make sure you store your machine indoors and away from moisture and humidity. Keep out of reach of children and anyone who might accidentally damage it
- Clean it properly before storing it
- Handles should be dry and grease-free
- Clean it after use. But don’t clean it with water.
- When traveling, put the blade inside the provided scabbard.
- Do not use solvents or powerful detergents to clean it
Hedge trimmers easily take care of all of your simpler gardening needs. If stored properly, they can help you with your work for a long time. If you actually do your research before buying a trimmer, you will be able to choose the best hedge trimmer one that fits your needs perfectly. Hedge trimmers sometimes are battery powered and sometimes gas fueled. The gas-fueled ones are usually more powerful but the battery operated ones are more environment-friendly and lightweight. Most of them come with low vibrations that ensure less fatigue while working. The dual bladed technology in some makes works much easier.
Other Gardening Tools Reviews: