Buying a chainsaw is never fun or easy, except when it comes to buying electric chainsaws. They are the best chainsaws to work with, used by DIY persons and professionals alike, as they are comfortable, easy-to-use and lightweight. Unfortunately, most people are used to gas-powered chainsaws and have no idea that excellent electric chainsaws exist.
Therefore, if you want a new experience with a user-friendly electric chainsaw, here is an overview of the top six electric chainsaws in the market. You can pick any of them, depending on your needs and budget.
6 Best Electric Chainsaw Reviews 2020
Oregon 570995 CS1500 Self-Sharpening Electric Chainsaw
This is one of the best electric chainsaws because it can maintain itself without any issues due, in large, to its self-sharpening feature. Moreover, its features are easy to maintain and do not cost a fortune. It also has a low noise level and is very user-friendly.
The neighbors will never complain about disturbances when you use it for your woodworking projects. It is the best-priced chainsaw due to its unique, ergonomic design and comfortable handling system.Product Features and Specifications:
- Has an automatic oiler with a translucent viewing window that you can use for oil checks.
- Has a built-in instant start that’s easy to use.
- Features a tool-free chain tensioner.
- Comes with a 15 Amp/120 V electric power supply.
- 18-inch minimum kickback bar and chain.
- The over-mold ergonomic handle makes it easy-to-use.
- Built-in power sharpener for chain sharpening.
- Integrated chain braking system ensures that your security level, during woodwork, is top-notch.
- Pitch is a 3/8-inch low profile.
- No Load Chain speed is 2887 fpm/48 fps.
- Gauge is .050 inches.
- Bar length is 18 inches/45 cm.
- Comes with safety features for zero to minimal chainsaw hazards
- Backed by a 2-year consumer warranty and a 1-year professional warranty
- It is balanced and lightweight with low-vibration
- Chain tends to slip off the bar if not checked regularly or tensioned properly
- Uses lots of oil
WORX WG303.1 16-Inch 14.5 Amp Electric Chainsaw
This is one of the best small electric chainsaws because it has great safety mechanisms that ensure stress-free work. Moreover, it is an all-electric tool that does not include batteries. In addition, it has a 14.5 Amp motor that performs the same way as a gas-powered chainsaw.
Anyone can comfortably use it, from ranch owners to farmers. This electric chainsaw has a patented auto-tension system that ensures it stays at the right tension every time you use it. It comes with a three-year manufacturer warranty.
Product Features and Specifications:
- Has a tool-free tensioner.
- Features an over-molded rubberized rear handle.
- It includes a scabbard and a 4 oz. bottle of oil for its chain.
- Built-in brake to ensure you are always safe.
- Comes with a 3/8 inch pitch reduced kickback chain safety mechanism that easily improves your cutting performance.
- Features an auto-oil lubrication and a built-in oil reservoir with an oil level indicator.
- Peak power is 3.5 Hp.
- Bar length is 16 inches.
- Its oil tank has 6.75 oz.
- Dry weight is 11.0 lbs.
- Chain pitch is 3/8 inches.
- Chain gauge is 0.50 inches.
- Designed for everyone and easy to use
- Has a great selection of features, from performance to safety
- Durable for a long working period
- This brand does not sell many replacement parts for repair
- Auto-chain tensioner knob not very secure tends to slip
BLACK+DECKER CS1518 15-Amp Corded Chainsaw, 18-Inch
Are you looking for a powerful and user-friendly electric chainsaw? Then you should feel at ease with this electric chainsaw. It is one of the best cordless electric chainsaws in the market and comes with a self-lubricating and auto-oiling system. Besides, this electric chainsaw is easy-to-use and handle.
Its lightweight design makes it ideal for novice and professional woodworkers to handle with ease. Moreover, it is highly safe and can last for some time without any technical problems. You just have to abide by its user manual for long-term optimal functionality.Product Features and Specifications:
- Has an 18-inch Oregon low kickback bar and chain for an improved woodworking experience.
- Offers a tool-free chain tensioning for quick, easy and convenient chain adjustments.
- Automatic oil system ensures that the bar and chain are always lubricated.
- Clear window for easy monitoring of the oil levels.
- Comes with a chain break feature for maximum safety during woodworking.
- Minimal noise level during use.
- Convenient front and rear guards protect your hands from the flying debris and chain contact.
- 15 Amp power motor.
- Lock off button to prevent activation of the chainsaw accidentally.
- Easy start: you just plug it in and you are good to go
- Lightweight, well balanced and easy-to-handle
- Comes with a two-year limited warranty
- Durable and affordable
- Chain likely to loosen up during first use, but you can easily re-tighten it
- Poorly-written instructional manual
Remington RM1645 Versa Saw 12 Amp 16-Inch Electric Chainsaw
If you want a decent electric chainsaw for trimming and pruning small trees, the Remington model is your best pick. It is the best chainsaw for the money with a 12 Amp powerful motor.
This electric chainsaw is easy-to-use and handle, and has a full-wrap handle that makes it easier to make cuts, at all angles. It is also highly versatile and reliable during light cuts. In addition, it is lightweight and comes fully-assembled. Make use of its user manual for optimal functionality.Product Features and Specifications:
- It is powered by a 12 Amp motor.
- Has a 16-inch low kickback bar and chain.
- Easy-view oil window for monitoring the level of the electric chainsaw oil.
- Wrap-around hand guard for versatility; you can cut in every angle you want.
- Includes an automatic chain oiler.
- Features a soft-to-the-touch rear grip for comfort and reduced vibration during cuts.
- Compact design but highly versatile during woodcuts. The design also allows for easier storage.
- Chain pitch is 375 inches.
- Manual chain tension.
- Comes with an external adjustment screw for proper chain tensioning.
- Lightweight and very easy-to-use and maneuver
- Comes with a two-year limited warranty
- Ideal for pruning, trimming and light cutting
- Very affordable given its precise cuts
- Issues include severe oil leak, adding to its operation costs
- Not ideal for heavy-duty cutting
Greenworks 16-Inch 40V Cordless Chainsaw
This is one of the best cordless electric chainsaws because it does not use any gas, nor does it have any pull cords. It requires no maintenance but will still function and deliver as expected.
This corded chainsaw is suitable for medium-duty woodworks, such as limb pruning and felling small trees. You can also use it to clear debris and slice firewood. Since it is battery-powered, you can take it anywhere without worrying about the limitations caused by extension cords. It further produces very little noise during operation.Product Features and Specifications:
- Features an innovative brushless motor tech for a longer runtime and extended lifespan with less wear and tear and more torque and power.
- Heavy-duty 16 inch Oregon bar and a chain reduced kickback.
- Toolless chain adjuster allows for a quick tightening or loosening of the chains on the chainsaw.
- Features an instant electric start.
- Comes with a chain brake and a low kickback chain for enhanced safety.
- Has metal bucking spikes.
- It is compatible with 14 different lawn tools, making yard work easier for avid lawn care home owners.
- Automatic oiler.
- Chain pitch is .0375.
- Has a simple starting procedure
- Excellent power for a battery-operated chainsaw
- Very quiet with a low vibration during use
- It is very lightweight, easy-to-handle and store
- Leaks oil when in storage
- Needs proper care to ensure the chain tension is always well-maintained
Makita UC4051A 16″ Electric Chain Saw
This is one of the best electric chainsaws because of its modern and effective features. You can easily use it to cut and trim wood, without worrying about any chainsaw hazards. It has a very comfortable handle with a rubber grip for steadiness during cutting and trimming, and its start-up is also smooth.
This is the best small electric chainsaw with a heavy-duty design for better use and maintenance. In case of an overload, its in-built current limiter will help protect its motor by reducing the power towards it.
Product Features and Specifications:
- Toolless chain and blade adjustment for easy operation and maintenance.
- Large trigger switch with a soft start.
- Features in-built current timers that protect the motor from overheating.
- Has large metallic spikes for increasing its performance.
- Rubber grip handle design for comfort during operation.
- Electric chain brake for maximum performance.
- Large oil reservoir with a view window for checking the oil level.
- Automatic chain oiler allows for continuous cutting of heavy woodwork tasks.
- Features 2900 FPM chain speed for efficacy during cutting and trimming.
- Powerful 14.5 Amp motor for high performance.
- Double insulation for operator protection.
- Comes with a 1-year warranty and 30-day satisfaction guarantee
- Has a protective scabbard for bar and chain
- Loads of great useful features
- Reliable with an easy, smooth start
- A bit pricey for an electric chainsaw
- Inconvenient where there is no electricity, but you can always use a portable generator
Types of Electric Chainsaw
Electric chainsaws are the best types of chainsaws for homeowners. This is because they are lighter, easy-to-handle and more versatile compared to gas-powered chainsaws.
The best electric chainsaws do not require the use of too much physical strength. An expert and a newbie can easily maneuver it. As such, they are best-suited for small yard tasks, as well as limbing, felling, trimming and pruning small trees. They are easy to maintain, with some requiring zero maintenance.
There are two types of electric chainsaws: corded and cordless/battery powered. Both are useful when it comes to different home tasks, but they are powered differently, which sets them apart when it comes to functionality. Here is some advice about these chainsaws, as well as information on when to use one and not the other:
- Corded Electric Chainsaws
Corded electric chainsaws are powered by a power source: just plug in its cord and you are ready to start pruning and trimming small trees and collecting firewood. Cords are usually unique to the individual electric chainsaw with no extension to its specified yard radius. However, you can use a portable generator and carry the corded electric chainsaw, but you will have to ensure that there are no tangles that will mess with the cord.
You can always settle for this chainsaw when it comes to undertaking small home tasks, such as collecting firewood, but it is not ideal for work that is away from home because of its limited power source. After all, generators also run out of fuel.
- Cordless/Battery-Powered Chainsaws
These are the best electric chainsaws for heavy-duty tasks that are away from a reliable power source. This is because they use free rechargeable batteries that can be easily carried around. The problem only comes when you are working because it is hard to know when the battery will run out. It can be in the middle of your work, which is very inconvenient, but this is not dangerous because of the safety mechanisms in place.
Moreover, this type of chainsaw produces less noise compared to a corded one and is best-suited for indoor work. Besides, they have a reduced power capacity compared to corded chainsaws run by an electric power source.
Therefore, both types are great, depending on the task and motor power. You can easily find them at a pocket-friendly price. Their prices usually differ by brand, so you can just browse through some reputable brands. Having said this, it will not hurt to have both at home, for conveniences’ sake.
How to Find the Best Electric Chainsaw
It is very easy to be overwhelmed by the various types of electric chainsaws in the market. Here is how you can narrow down your choices and select the best electric chainsaw:
- Intended Use
You will have to consider your main task before selecting a chainsaw. Ideally, these types of chainsaws are designed for pruning, trimming and felling small trees and branches. You can also use the versatile corded chainsaw to collect firewood.
- Safety Features
Always read the special features, as well as the specifications, before selecting any type of chainsaw. Look at some online reviews on different brands before shopping. In relation, the safer it is, the easier it will be for a newbie user to get the hang of it.
- Motor Power
This determines what you can use the chainsaw for – the higher the better. It does not matter if it is a corded or cordless electric chainsaw. Therefore, be sure to check the motor power in relation to what you intend to use it for.
- Guide Bar Length
This feature usually determines how you can use the chainsaw and its level of durability. The longer the blade, the more issues you will have with kickback. Therefore, for regular pruning and trimming, settle for a 8-14 inch blade. Medium firewood cuts require 16-18 inch blades. The safety rule is that your blade should be 2 inches longer than the size of the wood you want to cut.
The more experience you have handling a chainsaw, the easier it will be to choose a model best-suited for your needs. However, if you have limited to zero experience, you can choose a user-friendly model that’s light and easy-to-handle.
- Your Working Environment
If you plan to use the electric chainsaw indoors, you are better off with a cordless/battery-powered chainsaw because it produces less noise during operation compared to the corded type that can disturb the neighbors. In relation, off-site work away from home also requires a battery-powered chainsaw but, if you have a portable generator, you can always buy the corded one or have them both.
You should never place a price tag on any chainsaw. Instead, buy one according to its value and convenience to you. The most expensive chainsaws have better and more durable parts compared to the cheap, affordable ones that have flimsy plastic parts prone to wear and tear. Therefore, you can opt for a durable one regardless of the price. Nevertheless, electric chainsaws are usually within a reasonable price range, so you should be able to easily afford any of them.
- Ease of Use
Although these types of chainsaws are the easiest to handle, this does not mean that everyone can easily handle them. So, look for features that make them easier to handle, like rubber grip handles and a smooth start-up mechanism.
Frequently Asked Questions & Answers about Electric Chainsaws
1. Question: Does the Oregon 570995 CS1500 have a metal drive gear?
Answer: Yes, all its drive components are metal.
2. Question: How well does the self-sharpening system in the Oregon 570995 CS1500 work?
Answer: The accompanying user manual is good at explaining how the sharpening stone works but, in short, a light touch to its lever with the chainsaw running only takes a second, and the stone sharpens the teeth.
3. Question: Does the WORX WG303.1 16-Inch chainsaw come assembled?
Answer: Yes, it comes ready for use.
4. Question: Can the WORX WG303.1 16-Inch chainsaw operate on regular house current?
Answer: Yes, it does operate on a regular house current, a generator, and a 12V-120V inverter.
5. Question: How and where can I order a chainsaw replacement for the BLACK+DECKER CS1518 chainsaw?
Answer: You can use your chainsaw name and model and make your order from Amazon.
6. Question: Does the BLACK+DECKER CS1518 come with its chain?
Answer: Yes, it comes with its own chain, which you will have to assemble.
7. Question: Does the Remington RM1645 Versa Saw have a chain brake?
Answer: Yes, it does.
8. Question: Where can I buy the replacement chain for the Remington RM1645 Versa Saw?
Answer: You can use the chain to find the new one at Home Depot or Lowe.
9. Question: Does the Greenworks 16-Inch 40V come with a storage case?
Answer: Yes, it comes with a hard case.
10. Question: What is the charging time for the Greenworks 16-Inch 40V battery?
Answer: It takes 45 minutes to recharge.
11. Question: Does the Makita UC4051A come with a chain cover?
Answer: Yes, it does.
12. Question: Which Country is the Makita UC4051A manufactured?
Answer: It is made in China.
To conclude, an electric chainsaw is the best option for anyone looking for a chainsaw that will complete small-to-medium tasks, at home or off-site.
You will, however, have to be well-acquainted with some of the basics before buying one: sellers assume that you have an idea of how to use electric chainsaws, so they do not ask for proof of a license when purchasing them.
So, if you are looking for one of the best electric chainsaws in today’s market, you can opt for any of our top six listed above. They are all highly durable and within an affordable price range.