Chainsaws are handy tools to own, but did you know that you can choose between an electric and a gas chainsaw? Both types have benefits and drawbacks. You can choose any type as per your needs. A chainsaw is useful for maintenance, emergency situations, and building work.
You should consider the combination of portability and power when purchasing the best cheap chainsaw. A gas chainsaw is good for woodland, pruning and tidying. You will need one to get rid of annoying, overgrown plants and stubborn suburbs. Gardening and landscaping becomes much more difficult when you do not have a chainsaw.
If you want to buy a good, cheap chainsaw under 300$, you can consider the following models:
Top 5 Best Chainsaw For The Money Comparison Chart
- WORX WG303.1
- Powerful 14.5 Amp motor delivers consistent performance
- Auto oil lubrication and built-in oil reservoir with level indicator
- built-in chain brake and low kickback bar
- BLACK+DECKER LCS1020B
- 10 inches premium Oregon low kickback bar and chain
- Tool-Free blade tension system for quick adjustments
- 20V MAX Lithium Ion Chainsaw Bare Tool
- Greenworks 16-Inch 40V Cordless Chainsaw
- Premium Power of DigiPro brushless motor technology cuts up to 100 cuts
- Brushless motor design offers up to 70% less vibration
- Chain brake and low kickback chain for increased user safety
- TIMBERPRO 62cc 20" Petrol Chainsaw
- Powerful 62cc Air Cooled 2 Stroke Engine
- 20" Bar and Chain, 2 Chains and Storage/Carry Bag
- Tool Kit in Storage Case
- Husqvarna 240 2 HP Chainsaw, 952802154
- 16-inch bar, 3/8-inch pitch, 050-inch gauge
- Maximum power speed: 9000 rpm, Idling speed: 3000 rpm
- Side-mounted chain-tensioner, Combined choke/stop control
5 Best Cheap Chainsaws Under 300$ Reviews 2020
1. WORX WG303.1 16-Inch 14.5 Amp Electric Chainsaw
The WORX electric chainsaw is a dependable, durable and light way chainsaw. It is easy to move and strong enough to trim trees, cut firewood, and maintain the look of your yard. With its automatic tensioning system, you can avoid over-tightening the chain.
The Worx WG303.1 chainsaw is equipped with a built-in chain brake for your safety. It is designed to decrease the risk of kickbacks.
You can quickly start working with this chainsaw due to its built-in, automatic oiler that will consistently lubricate the chain and bar. The tension of the chain is maintained by a patented auto-tension system.
- Dependable 14.5 Amp motor proficiently delivers power equal to a chainsaw powered by gas.
- A built-in oiler is a good addition to keep the bar and chain lubricated and keep it ready-to-use.
- Auto-tension patented system secures the chain and bar by maintaining appropriate tension while working.
- It weighs only 11 lbs. enough to manage while doing a tough job.
- An ergonomic front handle and rear rubber handle allow you to work comfortably and with full control.
- 20V battery, along with charger, is included.
- Voltage: 120V to 60 Hz
- Amps: 14.5A
- Bar Length: 16”
- Chain Speed: 12m/s
- Chain pitch: 3/8”
- Capacity of oil tank: 200ml
- Weight: 11lbs
- Solid construction and durable design
- Low price
- Built-in oiling system
- Built-in chain system
- Amazing safety features and quite operations
- Excellent for beginners
- Good to maintain the regular tasks of yard
- The chainsaw’s cord makes things really challenging
- The oversized adjuster knob of the chain may become loose by rolling against the wood
2. BLACK+DECKER LCS1020B 20V Lithium Ion Chainsaw
The 20-volt Black and Decker chainsaw has a great reputation due to its unique features. It is excellent for light-to-medium duty tasks in the garden, such as dry wood, green logs, and live branches.
With self-oiling and toolless tensioning for the chain, it requires limited maintenance. The chainsaw is easy to handle with an ergonomic design.The LCS1020B is a durable chainsaw designed to follow safety rules. Ensure that you work with safety goggles to avoid flying debris that could harm your eyes. A mask, along with appropriate clothing, will keep dust away during trimming and cutting jobs. A traditional primer will prove helpful with its self-oiling mechanism to keep the bar and chain lubricated.
- The wraparound design of the handle offers users a solid grip.
- The low kickback bar and the chain is 10”, ideal for numerous varieties of trimming and cutting tasks.
- The user can make quick adjustments for a tool-free tensioning blade system.
- It effectively cuts dry wood, live branches and green logs.
- The Lithium battery can manage 20 volts of power output for its engine and keep the machine charged five times better than its competitor’s model.
- Run time and lifespan are better than other models.
- Weight: 7.59 pounds
- Dimensions: 16.7 x 9.6 x 8.8 inches
- Bar Length: 6”
- Voltage: 20 volts
- Power Source: Battery-powered
- Perform widest cuts with 10-inch capacity by including a variety of chores, tasks and projects
- Adjustments are made easy with the integrated tensioning system
- Chain and bar use first-rate lubrication to increase the life of the chainsaw
- The 4-5 inch diameter of the handle makes it inappropriate for heavy-duty cutting
- The 40-volt battery is unacceptable for the chainsaw
3. Greenworks 16-Inch 40V Cordless Chainsaw
GreenWorks claims to offer 40V 4.0 AH G-MAX battery that will give enough power to cut woods with a single charge. GreenWorks comes with an amazing battery and a charger. It can make wood cutting easy and quick compared to other models.
This chainsaw uses a unique brushless motor. It is an automatically-commutated system designed to work without losing efficiency.The absence of brushes increases the life of this chainsaw. You can use it for its whole lifespan without virtual maintenance. This chainsaw uses a chain and 16-inch bar from Steel Oregon.
If you buy this, you will receive the advantage of having numerous safety features, such as handguard, trigger, chain brake, etc.
- The DigPro brushless premium power motor technology can make almost 100 cuts with a single charge. The charger and battery are sold separately.
- The chainsaw is compatible with the Greenworks 40V G-Max Li-Ion system and offers a range of tools.
- Special brushless motor offers 30% additional torque to improve its cutting performance.
- Low kickback chain and chain brake are included to increase users’ safety.
- Model: 20322
- Battery: 4.0 Ah G-MAX 40V
- Charging time: 120 minutes for 4.0 Ah
- Bar: Steel Oregon 16-inch
- Compatible Batteries: 40V G-Max 29471 4.0Ah
- Warranty:90 days commercial and 4 years consumer
- Motor: Brushless
- Less vibration and more torque for maximum stability (whilst creating detailed pieces)
- The electric motor requires less maintenance
- The brushless motor is more efficient than others
- The battery-powered cordless chainsaw allows you to move around without any trouble
- Low chain break and kickback chain makes it safe for every user
- Battery is not included
- It is not good for intensive woodcutting work
4. TIMBERPRO 62cc 20″ Petrol Chainsaw with 2 chains
The TIMBERPRO 20” chainsaw is great for domestic and professional use. It comes with a warranty of 2 years for domestic use and includes a toolkit, user manual, and 2 chains. This chainsaw can chop logs up to 18-inches thick with a single pass.
Unlike other chainsaws, the Chainsaw TimberPro has a unique procedure to startup in a single pass. And, unlike other gas-powered chainsaws, it is easy to use. It comes with a 20” bar and 2 chains. The bar features a sprocket and allows for the easy movement of chains without losing its power. If you want to cut gritty wood under dirty conditions, you should invest in this chainsaw.
- Comes with a powerful air-cooled 62cc two-stroke engine.
- It has a 20”chain and bar, two extra chains, and a carry bag for your convenience.
- With alloy starting mechanics, it is easy to start.
- The toolkit comes in its storage case.
- A detailed user manual is available for your guidance.
- Comes with a warranty of two years for domestic use.
- The chainsaw comes with two chains, a fuel mixing bottle, a blade guard, and a storage case.
- Engine: 62cc Powerful Air Cooled 2 Stroke
- Blade Length: 20 inches
- Chain Lubrication: Automatic
- Chain Tensioner: Side Mounted
- Starting Mechanism: Alloy starting
- Mixture of Fuel: 25/1
- Capacity of Fuel Tank: 550ml
- Capacity of Chain Oil: 260ml
- Performs really well for its weight
- Easy-to-start with only 1 to 2 pulls
- Real warranty for 2 years by its manufacturer
- There is no need to worry about gas and oil leakage
- Expensive when compared to other chainsaws of this type
- Heavier than electric chainsaws
- Plastic cover is not durable enough
5. Husqvarna 240 2 HP Chainsaw, 952802154
In terms of size and power, the Husqvarna chainsaw is a great choice. It’s suitable for occasional pruning and trimming and can be used to cut light firewood and small trees.
As it’s lightweight, you can easily tackle small jobs around your property without feeling fatigue.This chainsaw comes with a special 16” chain and bar. You will get the flexibility to change its guide bar, as per your convenience, between 13-16 inches. In terms of performance, the chainsaw offers a maximum speed of more than 16 meters per second. This unit comes with a special throttle lock-out knob/switch to avoid accidental start-ups along the top of the back handle.
- This chainsaw has numerous safety features to stop the chain in case of kickback.
- It’s equipped with a manually-activated chain brake.
- Comes with an automatic-oiling mechanism to keep the chain lubricated.
- It has a X-Torq 38.2cc engine to decrease harmful emissions and improve fuel consumption.
- The saw requires a mix ratio of oil and gas, such as 33:1 or 50:1, based on the type of oil used in the chainsaw.
- The well-designed chainsaw is constructed of hard-molded plastic and metal.
- Weight: 10.3ks without its cutting equipment
- Cutting equipment weight: 1.5 to 2 lbs
- Power Source: Gas-powered
- Bar Length: 20”
- Easy to maneuver and handle
- Low vibration
- Competitive pricing
- Excellent cutting performance for light-duty tasks
- Uses a mixture of gas and oil
- Difficult to start compared to other chainsaws
- Not good for heavy or medium duty tasks
A Chainsaw Buying Guide
It can be difficult to buy a decent budget chainsaw under 200$ because numerous models are available in the market. For your convenience, here are some tips to choose the best possible model:
- Before you purchase a chainsaw, it is essential to consider the type of work that you want to do, the type and size of the wood that you want to cut, and your experience in handling a chainsaw.
- You can judge the size of a saw from its bar length and capacity to handle different tasks. A chainsaw with a long bar can cut wood of a larger diameter in a single phase. Bar lengths can vary between 6-20 inches and may be even larger in domestic chainsaws. Professional grade chainsaws come with a bar length more than 20”.
- Voltage, engine displacement, horsepower, and amperage are related to capability and power. The higher number indicates the maximum power of a chainsaw. Power is an important element to consider when working with hardwood timber, like maple or oak and large trees.
- A big engine or motor means a heavier chainsaw. These factors can increase the weight of the chainsaw. If you want to use a chainsaw for an extended period of time, consider its weight.
- Longer chainsaws often create more variable and require more efforts. These types of chainsaws often increase safety concerns. A less powerful, small chainsaw is easier to manage than a larger one. Beginners should consider these to avoid any accidents.
Features of a Good Chainsaw
Power and size will help you to determine the quality of a chainsaw for your work, but consider the following features in your chainsaw if you are thinking about efficiency, safety and comfort:
- Anti-vibration features are necessary to decrease fatigue and make a chainsaw comfortable. These features are helpful for those people who want to do lots of cutting.
- A spring-assist beginning considerably decreases the dragging force required to initiate a chainsaw powered by gasoline.
- Rusting is the biggest enemy of your chainsaw; therefore, consider a chainsaw with an automatic oiler to keep its chain lubricated. This type of system works automatically. You will need an appropriate chain lubrication for safe and efficient cutting.
- Another important feature is a chain brake. This will immediately stop the saw’s chain if your saw encounters any abrupt impact or movement. Some equipped models require you to manually activate their chain brake.
- Low-kickback chains and bars help to decrease the risk of unexpected force in the chainsaw. These feature are included in numerous chainsaws to prevent users from suffering accidents.
- Minimum adjustment of the chain makes it easy for you to change a cutting chain tension rapidly.
- With the air-cleaning feature, you can save yourself from debris. To increase the life of air filter, remove all large pieces of debris before they can access the filter.
- Chainsaws often come with a carry case to protect the components and the main unit. With a case, it will become easy for you to safely and easily transport your saw.
A chainsaw is necessary to keep your garden and yard in a good condition. It may be difficult to choose a chainsaw, but our chainsaw buying guide will help you to make your decision easy. You can choose between an electric chainsaw and a gas-powered model. If you are using a chainsaw for the first time, ensure that you choose a lightweight and easy-to-handle model.
Consider our top 5 chainsaws to get the best cheap chainsaw. Gasoline chainsaw models are more mobile than others. If you want to handle lots of small cutting chores, consider a gasoline model. A cordless chainsaw can be a good option when it comes to avoiding mobility restrictions.