Weed wacker is a tool that helps users perform a number of lawn/gardening related tasks which are not possible manually. These trimmers use monofilament lines rather that blades to cut grass, hard weeds etc to beautify them and enhance the overall look of the lawn. They usually consist of cutting heads present at the end of long shafts with handles or sometimes with shoulder straps to offer easy in controlling.
These trimmers, also named as weed cutters or weed whips, operate on a simple principle when their lines that can turn faster are held out of their housing (revolving reels) smoothly with the help of centrifugal force. Even round-sectioned nylon lines are capable to slight, woody plants and cut grass very well.
Some monofilament lines have been designed to offer more power to the cutter by giving them extruded shape just like stars. In this way, they will be able to efficiently help the lines to slash material and cut them in the desired manner. They are powerful enough to work on hard weeds and in difficult-to-reach places.
As you know there are three types of trimmers (gas, battery or electric powered), you should have to know which trimmer is ideal for you and can complement all of your needs. Basically, there are 4 best weed wackers available in the market.
Comparison Chart of Top 5 Weed Wackers and String Trimmers
- OREGON CORDLESS 40 Volt MAX ST275-A6 Trimmer
- 40V MAX Lithium Ion Power for up to 45 minute run;
- Instant Start - Freedom from cords, No gas-oil mixing, No pull cords
- Dimensions: 10 x 13 x 67 inches
- GreenWorks 21302 G-MAX 40V Cordless String Trimmer,
- Lighter, reliable, easy push button start will not wear your arms out
- Pivoting head allows for edging and trimming capability
- Dimensions: 60 x 14 x 45 inches
- Hitachi CG23ECPSL Gas Powered Shaft String Trimmer
- 69.6" overall length to lessen fatigue from bending
- Anti-vibration system to reduce user fatigue
- Dimensions: 8 x 8 x 70 inches
- BLACK+DECKER LST220 Cordless GrassHog Trimmer
- Easily converts from trimmer to edger with a quick turn of the shaft
- Automatic Feed Spool ensures continuous work without bumping
- Dimensions: 41.3 x 8.5 x 4.8 inches
- Tanaka TBC-255PF Gas-Powered Straight-Shaft Grass Trimmer
- Solid steel drive shaft
- 5" semi-automatic trimmer head; 11.8 lbs. (5.3 kg) with cutting head
- Dimensions: 0 x 0 x 0 inches and weight is only 19 pound
Toro 51487 Lithium-Ion Cordless String Trimmer:
Toro lithium ion battery powered trimmer is perfect for house owners who are living in a home site of up to 1/3 acres as it has the ability to serve them for a long period of time with efficiency in hedge trimming, weed trimming and edging.It also helps to clean up all reached places. The charging and storage stations offer special utilities that make them ideal to be used in small spaces as well.This new model of Toro trimmers is one of the most durable and powerful gardening equipments that offer high performance with sophisticated and elegance. Its energetic engine offers more power to complete the job quickly with efficiency. It also features improved shafts that allow users to trim/edge hard-to-reach areas.To assist you quickly discover the very best trimmers that match your requirements.I created an ultimate assessment data contain several excellent weed eaters with depth data. Please follow the link below to determine the very best comparison data actually! Read More
It is user friendly and therefore, simplifies and fastens the work. Its battery has manufacturer ratings of 22.2 Volts nominal and 24 Volts maximum. However, actual power varies with the load. Here are its more features:
- Lithium ion 24 volts battery that makes Toro a powerful trimmer
- Auto feed trimming line to offer uninterrupted job completions
- Longer, improved shafts to trim difficult to approach areas
- Convenient edger/trimmer combo
Tanaka TBC-255PF Gas-Powered Grass Trimmer:
Tanaka is another famous as well as trusted brand that has recently introduced the best tool in the form of TBC best weed wacker of 2017 gas-powered trimmer that is provided with similar drive shafts, cutting head and handle as installed in TBC-230 model.
However, this trimmer is operated with a 25 cc engine which gives it more cutting power and makes it ideal for heavy duty jobs.
Tanaka is particularly know for its PureFire low emission ability which is not so commonly found in the gas trimmers. Even though it operates on gasoline, Tanaka 255 PF trimmer does not pollute air and therefore, proved to be an ideal piece of gardening for every environmentally friendly person.
It also has:
- Solid steel driving shaft
- CARM compliant
- 5 inches wide semi automatic trimming head, which weights 5.3 kilograms (11.8 lbs) with the cutting head
- Walbro carburetor having primer
- Commercially graded 2-stroke engine
Black & Decker LST220 Cordless GrassHog Trimmer/Edger:
Black & Decker allows you to forget the difficulties and mess in gardening. With the launched of lithium ion 20 volts edger/trimmer, the manufacturer welcomes you to simplify all types of gardening jobs whether it would be related to trimming or edging the driveways, sidewalks, gardens, lawns etc.
Since this trimmer is cordless, you can find it durable, reliable as well as portable which you can easily carry to work on your targeted place.
The best thing about this trimmer is its availability with 2 LBXR20 20-volts MAX batteries that can double the actual runtime offered by other weed eaters.Read More
The trimmer is quiet to use and easy to operate as it weighs only 5.2 pounds. It can be adjusted as per your requirements. Its pivoting handles can also work at odd angles and facilitate their users to have convenience in trimming. More of its remarkable features are:
- Power-Drive transmission offers more energy from the engine
- 2 years limited warranty
- Automatic feeding spools to make sure constant operation without bumping
- Operated by 20 volts lithium ion battery that increased charge retention and lifespan as compared to NiCad batteries.
Black & Decker CCC3000 Cordless Electric Lawncare Center:
Black & Decker has launched another trimming set that can work in the way you want as it has everything you need Best Weed Wacker of 2017 to finish the work with efficiency and effectiveness.
Basically, there are 3 rechargeable equipments that help users to prune hedges, clean hard surfaces as well as trim/edge tough areas in the yard.The provided charger maintains power in 2 batteries and their wall mount allows users to store everything out from the way.
The trimmer is famous mostly because:
- Its sleek design easily clears all the debris from surfaces such as walks, garages, patios, drives and decks.
- The 2 eighteen volts rechargeable batteries offer a large runtime to finish most of the cleaning jobs
- Contains low noise design
- Has weight of 5.5 pounds
- Consists of large switch to provide easy on/off facility
Greenworks 21302 G-MAX 40V Li-Ion Weed Wacker:
Greenworks returns to introduce you to one of the best products as far as trimmers are concerned. With a high powered lithium battery to provide you with at least a full hour of fade free trimming, and a tough string which is bound to exterminate even the most stubborn of the weeds as you trim around your lawn or garden. With a 3 – position pivoting head, you will be able to get access to almost every angle which makes the trimming much easier. The back is supported by an edging wheel, so you will be able to walk behind the trimmer if you wished. The 21302 G – MAX is powered by lithium batteries, and is only compatible with the G – MAX product batteries for that matter.
OREGON Cordless ST275-A6 40-volt MAX Trimmer/Edger Kit
If you are looking for versatility and efficiency in one single pack, the ST275-A6 String Trimmer/Edger is the best cordless trimmer for you.Featuring a powerful motor, powered with a unique OREGON quick load which makes switching between a trimmer and an edger much faster and easier, it leaves little work for you to do, but to trim around as it handles the rest for you. Improved security is ensured by OREGON’s .080″ Platinum Gatorline, which protects the trimmer from the dangers of breaking.Compared to the previous series of this model, the ST275 – A6 proves at least a 50% increase in power. To make for a balanced trimmer, it has been crafted in a way which would make it easy to operate and light to carry.
Types of Weed Wacker
Weed wackers mainly come in three categories: cordless, corded electric, and gas. Each type has its own features as well as pros and cons.
Cordless weed wackers
In almost all cordless trimmers, the motor is powered by a rechargeable lithium-ion battery. This is perhaps the best weed wackers if you do not want to produce much pollution. The head rotates, enabling the weed eater to edge and trim at multiple angles and provides increased accuracy. Some of the most efficient trimmers, according to weed wacker reviews, are fitted with an automatic system that enables one to get more string as required, without stopping the work that is in progress or having to bump the head. Some models come with a low-grip handle which reduces fatigue during the work by offering a comfortable grip.
- No need for connection to a power outlet; you can even use it during a power outage
- Battery-powered trimmers are virtually noiseless.
- They are lightweight and can be carried anywhere around the yard with ease
- Cutting power is usually a little lower to make up for the amount of electricity available
- Batteries require charging and occasional replacement, possibly adding extra time or money to the job
- Cordless string trimmers are good for small yards, but they are not well suited to heavy duty jobs
On the whole, the cordless variety is good when you need portability and are intending to use it for a small-medium yard. There is no tension of carrying a cord or finding a power source. Since it is quite lightweight, women and children can also easily carry it and use it for quick cutting jobs without touching weeds or grasses.
Corded Electric Weed Wackers
The corded or electric weed wacker provides the right balance between weight and power. These weed wackers do not use gas or oil; instead, they draw electrical power through a cord you must plug into an outlet. They are environmentally friendly, as they do not produce exhaust emissions. Since these are plug-in weed eaters, you get maximum power to tackle heavy weeds and grasses, as well as overgrowth. The corded models can come with adjustable height, PowerDrive transmissions, as well as the provision of conversion from trimmer to edger and vice-versa.
- They do not use gas and oil, causing minimal pollution to the atmosphere
- Lighter than gas or battery powered units
- Quieter than gas weed eaters
- Since this variety comes with a cord, you won’t run out of power mid-way through working
- The price is quite affordable because the equipment does not require expensive batteries or fuel.
- Cutting & Pruning can take longer for big projects, as the power level is lower than in a gas weed eater
- Movement is restricted by length and reach of the cord
- Not effective for commercial use, as power supplies can be unreliable
If you have a good and consistent power source, the corded electric trimmer is a good choice as it leads to considerably less pollution than a gas trimmer and is more powerful than its cordless counterparts. It is also efficient and adjustable, so if you have a small to medium lawn with heavy growth, this is an ideal type for you. It can be conveniently used by women, children, and the elderly as this is the lightest weight type of weed eater.
Gas Weed Wacker
Gas weed wackers do not require any electricity. You just need to fill the tank with gas or a mixture of oil and gas, based on which model you are using. The engine size allows the unit to turn 2 mm of line, and certain models make use of nylon blades in combination with the reel. A majority of gas motors possess displacement between 21 cc and 32 cc. In short, they are the power horses of the string trimmers.
- Capable of holding more string at once, giving a wider range for cuts
- Highest cutting power of all weed eater types
- Since these weed wackers are not limited by any kind of power cord, they are able to reach difficult areas such as the far edge of a garden or a field
- Great for commercial use
- It releases a considerable amount of air pollutants into the atmosphere, which often becomes a grave regulatory issue in certain states (2-stroke engines are worse than 4-stroke)
- These are the heaviest type of weed eaters
- The amount of vibration makes them noisier than other string trimmers.
A discussion on 2-stroke and 4-stroke weed wacker
From power output to maneuverability, each has its own advantages and disadvantages, as is also evident from the string trimmer reviews.
Two-stroke trimmers call for a combination of oil and fuel (gasoline) at typical ratios of 1:50 or 1:40. In the case of four-stroke trimmers, mixing of oil and gas is not required. You just need to fill the oil tank and fuel tank with four-stroke oil and gas respectively. Four-stroke string trimmers are quieter and more efficient than their two-stroke counterparts.
More power is packed within a smaller engine in the case of two-stroke trimmers. Compared to four-stroke trimmers of the same size, more horsepower at higher revolutions per minute can be produced by the two-stroke engines. Moreover the two-stroke models are lighter. Their higher ratio of power to weight enables them to trim through thick growth with no significant decrease in engine power.
Four-stroke trimmers have more weight than two-stroke trimmers. This heavy weight can be an issue for some users who prefer maneuverability and ease-of-use while using trimmers. If you want a lighter machine, opt for the two-stroke trimmer.
Since four-stroke trimmers involve bigger engines with more components, the price is slightly on the higher side. So, if you have a budget constraint, it is better to go for a two-stroke product.
Check out the infographic Before buy a weed wacker
How to Choose the best string trimmer for Your Need
Now you have a good working knowledge of weed eaters, let’s wrap things up clearly and briefly.
Different people have different needs and budgets. Here is some basic advice:
- My budget is less than $100 :
Choose an electric weed eater. You can get plenty of good ones for your money. This all-around workhorse is perfect for the home and the limitations only really affect commercial users rather than the casual cutter.
- My budget is from $100-$200:
This price point allows you to comfortably step up to a battery-operated version. Quiet and highly eco-friendly, you might be restricted in terms of running time but for a home user prizing portability, buying a string trimmer that runs on battery power is a wise choice.
- I can spend more than $200:
If you have a little more to spend then a gas-powered weed eater is probably your best bet. This variety is equally good in your own garden or for business use. The added cutting power comes at the cost of weight but if you want to reach awkward places and don’t mind a bit of noise then gas is the way to go.
- I find it difficult to manage heavy equipment:
Whether you are advancing in years, a female garden enthusiast or for any reason uncomfortable with bulky tools, focus on weight as a priority. Don’t make the mistake of being seduced by the power of a gas-powered weed eater. They are heavy and bulky. Choose electric or cordless models and you can enjoy the convenience of this handy piece of kit without a backache!
- Loud equipment bothers my neighbors: help!
Respecting our neighbors is important. If you want to trim your garden without kicking out a great deal of noise then again sidestep weed eaters which are fuelled by gas. They have many advantages but are also extremely noisy. With cordless or electric trimmers you can enjoy a well-trimmed garden without bothering the people around you: win-win!
- My yard is very small:
If you will be cutting a limited area then electric or cordless models are the best fit. Reduced cutting power and the need for recharging will not be an issue with a smaller space and you will gain by having equipment which is quiet and ultra-light.
- I regularly cut large areas of grass and want to use my weed wacker commercially
If this is the case, opt for a gas model. With no cord, you can freely cut away over big sections of grass and you’ll enjoy a better range of cuts as well. Gas trimmers might be a little heavier and slightly noisy but with proper safety equipment, a gas weed eater will give you the power and durability you need for working in these conditions.
In general, it is not possible to point out a single product as the best weed wacker. It completely depends on you and your lawn or yard. When you are familiar with the differences between the various products and the best use for each, shopping becomes all the more convenient. Remember that the marketplace has a string trimmer to suit everyone’s needs!
After reading this best weed trimmer comparison, I am sure that you have got answers to all of your questions and now, you might be ready to make a decision. It is recommended to decide immediately and buy the best one. Let me help you in it, should I?